White Birch

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Signs, Signs, Everywhere There's Signs

I drove on the I-90 through New York to Massachusetts and then on to Cape Cod.  It took two days, both yesterday and today.  I was impressed by a few beautiful natural sights in the Mohawk Valley, the Berkshires and then out on the Cape.  

But, what impressed me most was the plethora of signs telling one where to go or what to do.  It reminded me of the Five Man Electric Band's famous song about signs and I offer the first stanza:

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"

And the refrain:

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

I think we've gone overboard with signs when one has to be told that a stop sign in just ahead or that a wandering road requires caution or that one should yield before entering a rotary.  But, apparently, in light of the signs, I'm in the minority.


No comments:

Post a Comment